Aloe vera is a popular medicinal plant that has been used for thousands of years.
It is best known for treating skin injuries, but also has several other beneficial effects on health.
List below is a list of benefits of aloe vera;
1. Contains Healthy Plant Compounds: Aloe vera is a thick, short-stemmed plant that stores water in its leaves. It is widely used in the cosmetic, pharmaceutical and food industries, and has an estimated annual market value of $13 billion globally.
2. Has Antioxidant and Antibacterial Properties: Antioxidants are important for health. Aloe vera gel contains powerful antioxidants, which belong to a large family of substances known as polyphenols.
3. Accelerates The Healing of Burns: Aloe vera is most commonly used as a topical medication, rubbed onto the skin rather than eaten. It has long been known as a treatment for sores, particularly burns, including sunburns.
4. Reduces Dental Plaque: Tooth decay and diseases of the gum are very common health problems. One of the best ways to prevent this from happening is to reduce the buildup of plaque (bacterial biofilms) on the teeth.
5. Helps Treat Mouth Ulcers (canker sores): Many people have experienced mouth ulcers, or canker sores, at some point in their lives. They usually form underneath the lip, inside the mouth, and last for about 7-10 days.
6. Reduces Constipation: Aloe vera has often be used to treat constipation. This time it is not the gel, but the latex, that provides the benefits. The latex is a sticky yellow residue found just under the skin of the leaf.
7. May Improve Skin and Help Prevent Wrinkles: There is some preliminary evidence that topical Aloe vera gel can slow aging of the skin. In one study of 30 women over the age of 45, topical application of the gel was shown to increase collagen production and improve skin elasticity over a 90-day period.