In this day and age, it is very important for children to have good social skills. From meeting other children and maintaining friendships to dealing with uncomfortable situations, a child with good social skills will go much further than one without. This skill gives kids the confidence to be themselves and express their thoughts and emotions in the right way. It also helps them understand problems and help others going through a difficult time.
Here are a few tips to teach your child good social skills:
Ask your child how they would react to different scenarios, and then talk about what they think is best. By asking your child you put them at the center of the discussion, which makes it much easier to teach them how other people might feel when certain things happen.
Explain Personal Space
Personal space is very important; everyone needs some measure of it. It is something that people only invite you into when they feel comfortable around you.
When your child is around your friends, encourage them to interact as much as possible. They will learn a lot more about how to behave by coming into contact with those that already do.
The Power of Playtime
Playtime is the perfect place to teach children social skills, and where they learn the most. Learning to wait your turn, apologizing, asking permission, reacting the right way and respecting people’s decisions are all lessons learnt during playtime. Make sure your kids play!
The Rules of Conversation
A hard lesson for some children to learn is the proper way to start a conversation. And a fantastic way to practice this skill is with role play.
Set up a few situations for your child to practice starting a conversation or joining a social situation and challenge them to keep the chat going. They may struggle at first, but you will see a huge difference in their confidence by the end of it.
Information from parents.com and understood.org
We have a surprise for you! Here’s a yummy French Toast recipe for your children to enjoy on a Saturday morning when they are home or on holidays. You can even show them how to make it for their friends.
French toast recipe
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Table spoon liquid Milk
- 1 Table spoon Blue Band
- 2 Sliced/Whole Bread
- Pinch of grounded Nutmeg and Cinnamon (optional)
- Beat eggs, milk, nutmeg and cinnamon together. Whisk until well blended and pour into a shallow bowl.
- Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture, allowing bread to soak up some of the mixture.
- Melt the Blue Band butter over a large pan on medium high heat.
- Add as many slices of bread onto the pan as will fit in at a time.
- Fry until brown on both sides, flipping the bread when necessary.
- Serve with syrup, jam, sausages, fresh fruits, warm hugs and tender loving care (TLC).